8.4.11

F is for Fever: passion and how to reclaim it, motivated by Peggy Lee

F is for fever and Peggy Lee's song expresses how I felt about Jim from the first day we met until the day he died. I'd been listening to some sad songs and multilaterally depressing news prior to that today. While doing so I happened upon Peggy Lee's Fever -- Thanks to David Choi who mentioned another song of hers on twitter: "Is That All there Is."

(David, you have a new fan re: "Hey Jude" and Nat King Cole--more on that later). So, soon into "Fever," I felt healthy, vibrant and full of life as I recalled the source of these feelings.








I hadn't thought about Lee's version of passion -- love, yes -- in my marriage since that day in June 2010 that stripped it away ...until now. Maybe I was afraid to, thinking it would be too much to miss that too. And I would say passion came second to soul and mind connectedness and friendship. But I underestimated its importance.

It only took seconds for the the song to invigorate and rejuvenate me.

Before my husband and I met, I experienced diluted and convoluted  forms of love and passion and envious of those who had the "real deal." -- as was Jim.

And now when I witness this in other couples on comparatively rare occasion, it makes me smile...rather than be sad. In other words...it stuck because it became a part of me, even as it lied buried.


This shows me that I can reclaim that sense of aliveness I felt and reaffirm it from external sources -- maybe even funnel it again in a creative way. 

May you find your fever too and embrace it. 


I had not realized how many times the song Fever had been remade as its lyrics held no copyright.




Ray Charles and Natalie Cole's version is another version I like. I like that the older version's allow you to define "Fever" in your mind. I can't say that Beyonce Knowles or Lady Gaga's version are in sync with the imagery of Romeo & Juliet or Pocahontas & John Smith or leave anything to the imagination via their videos.






6 comments:

Marie Anne said...

I'm glad you were able to experience that fever with your husband, and sorry that it was snatched from you.

Popping in by way of the A-Z Challenge. I’m blogging at:
Write, Wrong or Indifferent
Marie Anne’s Missives
In the Garden With Sow-n-Sow
Every Day Crochet

dp said...

Thanks for the kind words, Marie.

Unknown said...

Donna, I am so sorry for your loss. Healing takes a long time and even then the scars can still ache. It's wonderful that you have found a way to put a positive spin on it for yourself now. And I loved the music links;) Popping in by way of the A-Z Challenge. I’m blogging at:
http://tlmoviemuse.blogspot.com/2010/10/fresh-start.html
http://southernillinoistourism.blogspot.com/
http://fruittree101.blogspot.com/
http://babysteps4fitterme.blogspot.com/
http://foodpreservationtips.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

You have been living what I fear most. I'm so sorry for your loss and hope that you do find a way to regain joy and passion.

My “G” post: Genetic Link
My “H” post: Habituation: Can You Think Yourself Skinny?

Theresa Wiza said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but I'm so glad you were able to experience love on that level. I hope one day to experience that kind of love. If you would like to read my latest post for the A-Z Challenge, just click http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/ and look at the top blog.

dp said...

It is "better to have loved and to have lost, then to never have loved at all." I'm not big with quote dropping but I do honestly believe this. I wish you ladies the best.